You could be eligible to upgrade to Academic Member if you are:
- currently an Academic Associate
- recognised in the UK or internationally as an academic expert in one or more relevant subject areas.
You could be eligible to upgrade to Academic Fellow if you are:
- currently an Academic Associate or Academic Member
- recognised in the UK or internationally as an academic expert in at least two HR or L&D subject areas.
Upgrading to Academic Member or Fellow:
- allows you to use the designation Academic MCIPD or Academic FCIPD after your name
- inspires confidence in employers, clients and peers
- recognises your knowledge and experience
- connects you with like-minded professionals
- keeps you in touch with the HR and L&D profession
- entitles you to exclusive discounts including our flagship events throughout the year.
Your steps to upgrading your Academic membership:
Read the How to Apply for CIPD Academic Membership guide and identify the Academic membership level that best fits your current experience i.e. the one for which you can demonstrate meeting the criteria through evidence from at least the last three years.
Email all the below documents to: email@example.com
- Your up to date CV (see the How to Apply for CIPD Academic Membership guide listed above for information on what to include in your CV.)
- Your completed Academic Assessment Application form.
- A copy of your current job description or role profile.
- A copy of your highest-level qualification certificate.
CIPD will acknowledge receipt of your supporting documents and will contact you within 5 working days to take payment, (The assessment fee is a non-refundable.) We'll ask you for the contact details of two people for your workplace feedback and we’ll send them a workplace feedback form to complete and return to us.
When we receive the completed workplace feedback forms, we'll contact you to book your Peer Review discussion at a convenient date/time. You'll learn the outcome of your assessment within six weeks of your Peer Review discussion and will receive a tailored report to support your continuing professional development.
How much does it cost
You'll need to be assessed to upgrade your membership. The assessment fee* is:
- Upgrading to Academic Member: £550
- Upgrading to Academic Fellow: £650
Once you've upgraded successfully, you'll start paying the membership fee for the grade you’re awarded the next time you renew your membership.
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.