If you have the right level of experience you can upgrade your Associate membership to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow. It's rewarding, straightforward and can take just 60 minutes of your time.
Progressing to Chartered Membership will inspire confidence with employers and clients, and reduce risk for your organisation. It will help to further your career - opening doors to promotion, a higher salary and an increased range of job opportunities through:
- your exclusive access to senior networks
- a platform to have real influence and inspire the next generation
- the CIPD's thought-leadership, leading-edge research and policy reports
- using the professional designation and letters Chartered MCIPD after your name.
Being associated with the CIPD is essential for an professional HR practitioner in the Middle East region …. I have been approached for a number of jobs based on my MCIPD status ….
Senior HR Advisor
How do I upgrade my membership?
Step 1: Check your eligibility
You could be eligible to upgrade if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You are an Associate member
- You have successfully completed the CIPD Advanced Diploma or have previously held the Graduate grade of membership
- You have the right relevant experience we are looking for.
Step 2: Check you have the relevant experience
You’ll need to meet the full requirements for the level of membership you wish to apply for, below:
Chartered Member requirements
What we’re looking for
To achieve Chartered Member status, you’ll need to demonstrate at least three years’ current experience working consistently at this level. Your role may include elements of developing people strategy, but you’ll also be operational, planning and managing HR activity.
- Strongly focusing on engaging and partnering with business managers.
- Taking a commercial approach to your work, using data and business insight to find people solutions to business issues.
- Demonstrating your authority to drive and deliver people change.
- Managing, developing and implementing complex HR or L&D programmes.
- Measuring the impact of your work using business metrics and feedback.
- Using your HR or L&D expertise to coach and influence business managers on people issues.
Timescales: You’ll be working and planning for the future, thinking 12-18 months ahead. For example, planning HR or L&D business activity over that time, or managing long-term projects.
- Deepening your knowledge of current and emerging good people practice and theory.
- Demonstrating excellent commercial understanding of your organisation, with evidence of developing or managing business cases for people change.
- Actively planning your CPD, keeping up to date with HR and L&D trends, challenges and thought leadership.
- Complying with our Code of Professional Conduct.
Step 3: Send us your CV
If you feel you meet the requirements to become a Chartered Member the first step is to send us an up-to-date CV. We’ll then let you know within 10 working days which grade of membership you could apply for and how you can upgrade.
Send us your CV today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll let you know if you may be eligible to apply to upgrade your membership.
What should I include on my CV?
In order to give you the best opportunity to be successful with upgrading your level of professional membership and to enable us to give you advice on your eligibility please ensure that your CV covers details of the following:
- Employment dates and timeframes
- Your current role including key accountabilities, responsibilities and achievements which demonstrate the scope and scale of the projects you have worked on. If you are a consultant please include information about the roles undertaken/projects covered with the clients/organisations you work with
- Previous roles and organisations you have been employed by, or organisations you work with as a consultant, particularly focusing on the last three years.
Step 4: Ready for Chartered Membership?
If following your CV screening it's felt you're ready to apply to upgrade to Chartered Membership, the next step is to prepare for your assessment. This will be your opportunity to showcase your current HR/L&D experience with one of our experienced CIPD HR assessors.
We know you’re busy, that’s why we offer a range of assessment options to you:
- telephone assessment
- form-based assessment.
Upgrade by telephone assessment
Why choose to upgrade via telephone assessment?
- A range of flexible times
- Less paperwork
- Takes around 60 minutes
- Receive your result in 10 working days
- It's a time-effective way to talk about your current HR/L&D experience with one of our experienced CIPD HR assessors.
"This is a brilliant service provided by the CIPD. The only reason I actually managed to do this is due to the phone assessment. Otherwise I wouldn't have found the time to do it.'
Hema Patel, Chartered MCIPD
How to apply
- Read the candidate guidance notes for telephone assessment (below).
- Book your assessment: If you believe that you are eligible to Upgrade, please call our Customer Services team on +44 (0)208 612 6208 to book your telephone assessment at a date and time convenient for you. There’s a non-refundable assessment fee of which must be paid by credit or debit card when you book your assessment.
- Read the terms and conditions of the upgrading telephone assessment. You will need to agree to these before your assessment.
- Request feedback: In advance of the assessment, you’ll be required to provide feedback from your line manager or client along with a copy of your current CV to the CIPD.
- Undergo the assessment: During your assessment you will be invited to talk about your experience with one of our experienced assessors. There are no forms to complete and the assessment will take around 60 minutes.
- Receive the outcome: Afterwards you'll receive notification of the outcome within 10 working days. If successful, we'll send you your new Chartered Member card and certificate.
To upgrade from Associate to Chartered Member you will need to pay a non-refundable assessment fee of £120.
Associate members: If you’re an Associate who’s eligible to receive one free upgrade using form-based assessment to Chartered Member, please note that this does not apply to upgrading by telephone assessment.
Guidance and application forms for telephone assessment
Upgrade by form-based assessment
Why choose to upgrade via form-based assessment?
- No deadlines - work at your own pace
- Receive your result in 6 – 8 weeks
Recently completed an Advanced Diploma in Human Resource Management or Development? Your first upgrade using form-based assessment to Chartered Member is FREE, if done within a year of receiving your Associate certificate.
How to apply
- Read the candidate guidance notes for form-based assessment (below).
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions of the upgrading form-based assessment.
- Request feedback: Ask two colleagues to support your application by giving examples of your recent work and the impact it’s had on the business, to show how you operate at Chartered Member level.
- Line manager or recent client
- Return all forms with a copy of your current CV to email@example.com. Please note that we don't accept postal applications or handwritten applications.
- Pay: Our Customer Services team will contact you for payment.
- Receive the outcome: Afterwards you'll receive notification of the outcome within six - eight weeks. If successful, we'll send you your new Chartered Member card and certificate.
To upgrade from Associate to Chartered Member you will need to pay a non-refundable assessment fee of £60.
Guidance and application forms for form-based assessment
Upgrading not for you?
Have you considered Experience Assessment? This is a flexible and rewarding way for HR and L&D professionals to become a Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Study an Advanced Diploma that leads to professional membership. Find a course or read more about professional qualifications.