If you have the right level of experience you can upgrade to Chartered Fellow, our highest grade of membership. It's rewarding, straightforward and the assessment can take just 60 minutes of your time.
Chartered Fellowship offers you an exciting platform to affect change and engage in the big debates with business and government policy.
You'll be able to deepen your engagement with the CIPD and the profession through:
- shaping the policy agenda
- voting on key CIPD matters
- contributing to key CIPD research
- using the professional designation and letters Chartered FCIPD after your name.
How do I upgrade my membership?
Step 1: Check your eligibility
You could be eligible to upgrade if you:
- are a Chartered Member or Associate member having successfully completed the CIPD Advanced Diploma, or have previously held the Graduate grade of membership
- have the relevant experience we're looking for.
Step 2: Check you have the relevant experience
You’ll need to meet the full Chartered Fellow requirements, below:
Chartered Fellow requirements
What we’re looking for
To achieve Chartered Fellow status, you’ll need to demonstrate at least three years’ current experience working consistently at a senior level. The scope of your role will be strategic in nature, with an impact across many functions; you’ll rarely work operationally.
- Shaping, strategising and delivering organisational performance.
- Partnering with the Board or Executive team to interpret business strategy.
- Combining business insights and professional knowledge to create and deliver long-term HR or L&D strategy.
- Evaluating the impact of people strategy through people KPIs and business metrics.
- Working in a complex, ambiguous, changing environment.
Timescales: You’ll be owning and shaping strategy for the future, planning for 3-5 years ahead, aligning in-year operating plans with the long-term people strategy.
- Commercially savvy, with an excellent understanding of the organisation’s commercial drivers and how to leverage best value HR.
- A role model for Continuing Professional Development (CPD), creating a culture of learning across the organisation, and up to date with emerging people and business trends.
- Shaping the profession through debate, networking and thought leadership.
- Complying with our Code of Professional Conduct.
Step 3: Send us your CV
If you feel you meet the requirements to become a Chartered Fellow your first step is to send us an up-to-date CV. We’ll then let you know within 10 working days which grade of membership you could apply for and how you can upgrade.
Send us your CV today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll let you know if you may be eligible to apply to upgrade your membership.
What should I include on my CV?
In order to give you the best opportunity to be successful with upgrading your level of professional membership and to enable us to give you advice on your eligibility please ensure that your CV covers details of the following:
- Employment dates and timeframes
- Your current role including key accountabilities, responsibilities and achievements which demonstrate the scope and scale of the projects you have worked on. If you are a consultant please include information about the roles undertaken/projects covered with the clients/organisations you work with
- Previous roles and organisations you have been employed by, or organisations you work with as a consultant, particularly focusing on the last three years.
Step 4: Ready for Chartered Fellowship?
If following your CV screening it's felt you're ready to apply to upgrade to Chartered Fellowship, the next step is to prepare for your assessment. This will be your opportunity to showcase your current HR/L&D experience with one of our experienced CIPD HR assessors.
We know you’re busy, that’s why we offer a range of assessment options to you:
- telephone assessment
- online application form.
Upgrade by telephone assessment
Why choose to upgrade via telephone assessment?
- A range of flexible times
- Less paperwork
- Takes around 60 minutes
- Receive your result in 10 working days
- It's a time-effective way to talk about your current HR/L&D experience with one of our experienced CIPD HR assessors.
"This is a brilliant service provided by the CIPD. The only reason I actually managed to do this is due to the phone assessment. Otherwise I wouldn't have found the time to do it.'
Hema Patel, Chartered MCIPD
How to apply
- Read the candidate guidance notes for telephone assessment (below).
- Book your assessment: If you believe that you are eligible to Upgrade, please call our Customer Services team on +44 (0)208 612 6208 to book your telephone assessment at a date and time convenient for you. There’s a non-refundable assessment fee of which must be paid by credit or debit card when you book your assessment.
- Read the terms and conditions of the upgrading telephone assessment. You will need to agree to these before your assessment.
- Request feedback: In advance of the assessment, you’ll be required to provide feedback from your line manager or client along with a copy of your current CV to the CIPD.
- Undergo the assessment: During your assessment you will be invited to talk about your experience with one of our experienced assessors. There are no forms to complete and the assessment will take around 60 minutes.
- Receive the outcome: Afterwards you'll receive notification of the outcome within 10 working days. If successful, we'll send you your new Chartered Fellow card and certificate.
Associate members: If you’re an Associate who’s eligible to receive one free upgrade using the online application form to Chartered Fellow please note that this does not apply to upgrading by telephone assessment.
Guidance and application forms for telephone assessment
To upgrade from Associate or Chartered Member to Chartered Fellow you will need to pay a non-refundable assessment fee:
Online assessment: £95
Please note: Following feedback, we'll be shifting our focus to telephone assessment as a more appropriate method of upgrading to Chartered Fellow. As a result, the online assessment route to the Chartered Fellow level of professional membership will come to an end on 1 July 2017. After that time no application forms will be accepted.
Telephone assessment: £250
Upgrading not for you?
Have you considered Experience Assessment? This is a flexible and rewarding way for HR and L&D professionals to become a Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Study an Advanced Diploma that leads to professional membership. Find a course or read more about professional qualifications.