Activate your career in the people profession
Foundation Membership starts to build your credibility. It shows you’re serious about your development and that you have a strong base of knowledge to build on. Once you’ve successfully completed your CIPD Level 3 Foundation Certificate in People Practice you become a Foundation Member and can use the designation 'Foundation CIPD'.
Working at Foundation grade means you have a direct impact on daily operations. You’re using your knowledge to perform an effective tactical role that supports others in your organisation including your manager, colleagues and customers.
This grade could be for you if:
- you've completed the CIPD Level 3 Foundation Certificate in People Practice
- you’re beginning to build your experience in people practice, or looking for your first role in the people profession
- you’re carrying out varied tactical and administrative work for your immediate colleagues and customers
- you’re applying your knowledge of people practices to your work
- you’re performing day-to-day tasks, such as answering queries, booking people onto training, or gathering information to support people programmes
What's in it for you?
Becoming a member means immediate access to a range of benefits. Look at some of our most popular benefits below, or go to our member benefits page to see the full range.
CIPD Learning Hub
The CIPD Learning Hub is an online learning platform that supports the delivery of world-class, cutting-edge learning that is available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
It makes it easier than ever for you to make professional development a day-to-day, career-long priority to increase the impact and effectiveness you have in your role. Self-assessment, learning plan and learning reflection tools are built into the hub, helping you to plan your career path and reach your potential.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
Foundation Member fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Foundation Member fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022): £163.
You can pay by card or through direct debit instalments, and you’ll need to renew your membership annually on 1 July. We’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due.
Fees for our route to becoming a Foundation Member:
|Study a qualification||Fee|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres|
|12-month Student Member fee*||£98|
|Total||Qualification fee and £138|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Foundation Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July.
*Dependent on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.