Leading the people profession
Chartered Fellow is a clear sign of your proven strategic abilities, people expertise and business impact. It shows you are committed to inspiring and shaping the future of the people profession.
You are recognised as a thought leader, influencer and expert change agent in today’s evolving workplace. You are advancing people strategy as a positive force for good, and proving its value in the world of work..
Being a Chartered Fellow also gives you a respected platform to influence change, shape policy, and deepen your engagement with the people profession.
This grade could be for you if…
- you have experience working at Chartered Fellow level for a minimum of one year within the last five years. This is a minimum requirement, and it’s likely that you will need more than a year
- you are an experienced people professional who is working strategically with high levels of complexity
- your work will usually be entirely strategic in thinking and/or delivery
- you’ll lead the thinking on people function across the organisation
- your work changes mindsets and attitudes, transforming the way organisations think about and value their people
- your evidence-based thinking is driving complex people programmes which have a significant impact on the organisation, its sector and in the wider profession
- your expertise influences at senior levels and is shaping the future of the people profession
- you’re a role-model for the people profession, making ethical decisions backed by professional integrity
When you’re a Chartered Fellow, you can use the designation Chartered FCIPD after your name.
The Chartered Fellow grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming a Chartered Fellow via Experience Assessment or Upgrading, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
What's in it for you?
Becoming a member means immediate access to a range of benefits. Look at some of our most popular benefits below, or go to our member benefits page to see the full range.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
How to become a Chartered Fellow
There are two ways:
What’s the best route for you?
If you were previously in membership, find out how to come back to ensure your expertise is professionally recognised and trusted.
Chartered Fellow fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Chartered Fellow fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022): £216.
Fees for our routes to becoming a Chartered Fellow:
|Experience Assessment route||Fee|
|One-off assessment fee||£2,375|
|12-month Chartered Fellow fee*||£216|
The assessment fee is non-refundable.
|Study a qualification route||Fee|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres|
|12-month Student Member fee*||£98|
|Upgrade from Associate to Chartered Fellow||£250|
|Total||Qualification fee and £388|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Associate Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July. You may be able to upgrade to Chartered Fellow depending on your experience and qualification.
If you’ve already finished a CIPD accredited qualification, call us +44 (0)20 8612 6208 to find out whether you can become an Associate Member.
|12-month Chartered Member fee*||£216|
*Depending on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.