You’ll become an Associate Member at the end of your studies either if you complete one of our new Diploma qualifications or a pre-2021 Certificate or Diploma qualification at any level
Show you have business impact
Associate Membership demonstrates you have the people skills to deliver on today’s business needs. You’re sought-after for your experience, trusted for your up-to-date knowledge, and respected for your professional commitment to good practice.
Your Assoc CIPD designation helps to raise your profile within the people profession and can open the door to new job opportunities. It establishes your credibility and knowledge as a professional.
Working at Associate Member grade means you’re delivering an operational impact with increasing complexity. You’re using your knowledge to address and react to business needs, and you actively influence the day-to-day people approach in your organisation.
This grade could be for you if…
- you have experience working at Associate Member level for a minimum of one year within the last five years
- you’re delivering ‘hands-on’ operational work with some complexity that supports wider business needs
- you’re contributing to the thinking and development of people solutions for your organisation
- you’re using your experience and expertise to implement HR and L&D solutions such as people projects, or advising on practice and policy
- you’re collaborating with, and influencing, immediate stakeholders such as professional colleagues or customers
- you’re using evidence and information from different sources to inform your decisions and actions
- you’re building an understanding of your organisation and the complexity of its people issues
- you’re using your knowledge of people practices to evaluate how your work impacts people and the organisation
When you’re an Associate Member, you can use the designation Assoc CIPD after your name.
The Associate Member grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming an Associate Member via Experience Assessment, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
What people say about being an Associate Member
The benefits and advantages that professional CIPD membership gives me are: the connection and links to latest HR trends; the global network of CIPD professionals and access to online forums to exchange ideas ... [and] the ability to sign off letters “Assoc. CIPD” – which identifies me as part of the HR professionals’ community.
What's in it for you?
Becoming a member means immediate access to a range of benefits. Look at some of our most popular benefits below, or go to our member benefits page to see the full range.
CIPD Learning Hub
The CIPD Learning Hub is an online learning platform that supports the delivery of world-class, cutting-edge learning that is available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
It makes it easier than ever for you to make professional development a day-to-day, career-long priority to increase the impact and effectiveness you have in your role. Self-assessment, learning plan and learning reflection tools are built into the hub, helping you to plan your career path and reach your potential.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
How to become an Associate Member
There are two ways:
What’s the best route for you?
If you were previously in membership, find out how to come back to ensure your expertise is professionally recognised and trusted.
Associate Member fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Associate Member fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022): £163.
You can pay by card or through direct debit instalments, and you’ll need to renew your membership annually on 1 July. We’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due.
Fees for our routes to becoming an Associate Member:
|Experience Assessment route||Fee|
|One-off assessment fee||£1,996|
|12-month Associate Member fee*||£163|
The assessment fee is non-refundable.
|Study a qualification route||Fee|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres|
|12-month Student Member fee*||£98|
|Total||Qualification fee and £138|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Associate Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July.
If you’ve already finished a CIPD accredited qualification, call us +44 (0)20 8612 6208 to find out whether you can become an Associate Member.
|12-month Associate Member fee*||£163|
*Depending on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.
Not sure if Associate Member is right for you?
For people professionals who apply their knowledge to deliver strong tactical support
For people professionals who work strategically and operationally with some complexity. You’re actively driving and managing change to meet your organisation’s needs