Your mark of professionalism
Associate membership recognises people professionals who demonstrate excellence by supporting the delivery of people solutions or hold a relevant CIPD qualification.
Achieving Associate (Assoc CIPD) status will:
- Demonstrate you possess up-to-date and relevant skills and knowledge.
- Speak volumes for your commitment towards good practice, continuing professional development and our Code of Professional Conduct.
- Ensure you remain relevant and more employable.
The benefits and advantages that professional CIPD membership gives me are: the connection and links to latest HR trends; the global network of CIPD professionals and access to online forums to exchange ideas ... [and] the ability to sign off letters “Assoc. CIPD” – which identifies me as part of the HR professionals’ community.
What we're looking for
To achieve Associate membership, you’ll need to successfully complete a CIPD Certificate or Diploma qualification, or have at least one year’s recent experience in a role which is hands-on, supporting the delivery of people solutions.
If you have recent work experience, then you’re typically...
- Working operationally and using your people expertise to meet business needs (for example, by supporting people projects or providing advice on people practice and policy).
- Contributing to the thinking around the people practices you support.
- Analysing information and evidence to build insights into organisation and people issues.
- Influencing a number of stakeholders such as your colleagues and customers.
- Responsible for your own work and working collaboratively with a range of people across the organisation.
- Having an operational impact, changing the day-to-day people approach for your customers and colleagues.
- Creating short- to medium-term value for employees or your organisation (value which is sustained over a few months or more).
All Associate members need to:
- Be aware of a range of people practices, and how your work impacts other people practices in your organisation.
- Have a good understanding of your organisation and the issues it faces.
- Be committed to your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by reflecting on your own performance, proactively developing your professional knowledge, skills and experience, and keeping up-to-date with external trends and developments.
- Comply with our Code of Professional Conduct.
Explore the Associate membership standards
The membership grades are now aligned with the levels of our new Profession Map. If you are interested in coming into Associate membership via Experience Assessment, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership level for you.
What sort of job roles are at Associate member level?
Whether you’re employed or working on a consultancy basis, Associate members work in a wide variety of roles which support the organisation to deliver people solutions. You may be a generalist or have a specialist focus, but you’ll have an awareness of a range of people practices and functions.
The level of membership that’s right for you will depend on the work you do, your knowledge, behaviour, and impact you have. However, examples of Associate member roles may include:
- HR Advisor
- L&D Advisor
- HR Data Analyst
- Employee Relations Specialist
- HR Shared Services Team Leader
- OD Advisor
- HR Manager
- HR / L&D Apprentice
What's in it for you?
Becoming a member means immediate access to a range of benefits. Look at some of our most popular benefits below, or go to our member benefits page to see the full range.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
Choose your route into Associate membership
This flexible route requires no studying and allows you to use your current experience when applying for membership
You’ll be awarded Associate status at the end of your studies if you complete a Certificate or Diploma qualification
Upgrading your current membership
Become an Associate member when you successfully complete your studies
Which qualifications lead to Associate membership?
CIPD qualifications in HR and Learning and Development are available at three levels:
- Foundation - equivalent to A-level
- Intermediate - equivalent to foundation degree/HND level
- Advanced - postgraduate level.
At each level you can follow an HR or L&D pathway or a combination of both.
When you successfully complete a Certificate or Diploma, at any level, you’ll be awarded Associate membership, meaning you can use the designatory letters Assoc CIPD after your name. If you complete an Advanced Diploma, you can apply to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow when you gain the relevant experience.
Find a course or learn more about CIPD-accredited professional qualifications.
Associate membership fees
Cost of membership routes
Total fees for Experience Assessment = Experience Assessment fee (£1,996) + joining fee (£40) + 12 month Associate membership fee* (£163) = £2,199
Total fees for Qualification = Qualification fee + 12 month Associate membership fee* (£163)
Total fees for re-joining membership = joining fee (£40) + 12 month Associate membership fee* (£163) = £203
Membership fees for up to 12 months (from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021)
Associate membership fee: £163
* Dependent on when you join in the year, we offer different membership fee options.