Make your experience count
Experience Assessment is a rigorous, time-efficient and rewarding way for people professionals and consultants to become members of the CIPD.
Experience Assessment is a great choice if you:
- have current people experience that shows you meet our membership standards for the grade you want to join.
- want recognition for your contributions to organisational success.
- seek a flexible route into membership that works around your lifestyle without having to study a full qualification.
Become a member via our non-study route
Experience Assessment is designed to fit into the lives of busy people professionals by utilising your existing experience in the field. Find out why members chose the Experience Assessment route to join the CIPD.
I personally believe that CIPD Experience Assessment is the most time effective and economical route to achieve a professional recognition and qualification in the market today.
HR Business Partner, Al-Futtaim Motors, Al-Futtaim Group
It is a fantastic route for assessing your knowledge and experience and benchmark it to world class standards. A must do for experienced professionals.
Head of Consumer Banking Academy, FGB
I am now confident that I have a globally recognised qualification, which puts me in good stead for any future career development opportunities and is a hallmark of quality for provisional employers.
Area Human Resources Manager, Sika Services, Middle East
Reward your achievements with professional recognition
Experience Assessment allows you to reflect on your career, skills and knowledge to date, and highlights your areas for development to meet your long-term career aspirations. Within as little as four months you could:
- be awarded a level of membership with exclusive member benefits
- use designatory letters after your name (Assoc CIPD, Chartered MCIPD or Chartered FCIPD)
- benchmark your people experience against the industry standard
- learn how you can be even better at what you do, whatever your level
- demonstrate your commitment to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and our Code of Professional Conduct.
The first step is to book your FREE pre-assessment discussion by calling +44 (0)20 8612 6208 (GMT).
The five stages of Experience Assessment
Experience Assessment is both challenging and rewarding and is designed to fit around your full-time work commitments. At its core is a five-step process:
Step 1 - Your pre-assessment discussion
The pre-assessment discussion is a FREE, 30-45 minute discussion by telephone with an experienced assessor. It helps determine your eligibility for Experience Assessment, and whether it's the right route into membership for you.
Before you book your pre-assessment discussion though, make sure you check your eligibility against our requirements for the level of membership you wish to apply for:
Book your pre-assessment discussion today. Call us on: +44 (0)20 8612 6208(GMT).
Step 2 - Register and pay for Experience Assessment
After your pre-assessment discussion you’ll need to register and pay for the remaining stages of Experience Assessment, including your CIPD membership. While you’re completing the process, your CIPD membership will give you access to a range of materials, online research and communities that'll help and support you throughout your online assessment.
Step 3 - Complete your online assessment
You should expect to invest around 5-10 days of your time over an eight-week period to do the following part of the online assessment:
- Knowledge and Impact report: demonstrate your expertise in people, work and change, and the impact your work has.
- Behaviour Report: demonstrate the behaviours needed to be principles-led, evidence-based and outcomes-driven.
- Your Professional Development: provide feedback from people you work with, reflect on strengths and development areas, and show how your professional development is changing the way you work.
The timescales above are estimates and should be used as guidelines only. We strongly advise you to plan ahead, and give yourself enough time to think and prepare your examples.
Step 4 - Your Professional Discussion
Approximately 3-4 weeks after you complete your online assessment you’ll have your Professional Discussion - a 2-3 hour interview via Skype with an experienced CIPD assessor. Your assessor will ask about your career and follow up on some of the examples you’ve provided in your written assessment. They’re also likely to ask for additional examples of your work.
Step 5 - Receive the outcome of your assessment
You'll learn the outcome of your assessment within six weeks and will receive a tailored report to support your continuing professional development. If you're successful, you'll be awarded membership of the CIPD with designatory letters after your name:
- Associate member (Assoc CIPD)
- Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD)
- Chartered Fellow (Chartered FCIPD).
We’ll also send you your new membership card and certificate. If you're reading this and have successfully completed your Experience Assessment already, then congratulations! You’re now a member of the CIPD.
Experience Assessment fees - existing members
When registering for Experience Assessment, current Affiliate and Associate members of the CIPD only pay the assessment fee.
- Assessment for Associate £1,996
- Assessment for Chartered Member £2,045
- Assessment for Chartered Fellow £2,375
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
The next time you renew your membership, and once you’ve completed Experience Assessment, you’ll pay the membership fee for the grade you’re awarded.
Experience Assessment fees - new members
|Membership type||Joining fee||Assessment fee*||Membership up to 6 months valid until 30/06/20||Membership up to 18 months valid until 30/06/21||Total|
Our membership year runs from 1 July to 30 June and you can join membership at any time. The table above outlines the different membership options we currently offer, dependent on when in the year you join us. From 1st April 2020 we will be offering 15-month membership valid until 30th June 2021.
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
Experience Assessment for organisations
Experience Assessment for organisations allows you to benchmark your people teams against our CIPD Profession Map, which reflects the industry standard and reward their achievements with professional membership. Experience Assessment will enable your organisation to:
- create targeted development plans across your people functions
- provide a highly rewarding development experience for your employees
- professionalise your people function through affiliation with the CIPD.
Experience Assessment for organisations can easily be incorporated into broader development initiatives and we’ll work with you to tailor our approach to meet your team’s specific needs.
See how else the CIPD can work with you to improve your organisation's performance by strengthening your people capability.