Join through Experience Assessment
Use your real-world people experience to get the professional accreditation employers are seeking
Is Experience Assessment for me?
Experience Assessment is for those with recent experience working in the people profession. This route could suit you whether you’re an independent consultant, you’re working for a large corporate or smaller organisation. It’s about demonstrating you have the knowledge, behaviours and impact required for the CIPD membership grade you want to achieve.
Find out more about what we're looking for and if Experience Assessment is for you with the online Pre-Assessment.
The benefits of Experience Assessment
Experience Assessment is a time-efficient and rewarding route to membership that’s designed to fit into the lives of busy people professionals.
- Delivers professional recognition through membership: you can use a designation after your name that shows your experience (Assoc CIPD, Chartered MCIPD or Chartered FCIPD).
- Takes as little as four months.
- Not a qualification, so no studying or exams: it’s all about your experience.
- Rewards your achievements and contribution to organisational success.
A professionally rewarding experience
- Gives you the opportunity to reflect on your career, skills and knowledge to date.
- Highlights potential areas for development towards meeting your long-term professional goals.
- Benchmarks your people experience against the industry standard.
See what our members say
I personally believe that CIPD Experience Assessment is the most time effective and economical route to achieve a professional recognition and qualification in the market today.
HR Business Partner, Al-Futtaim Motors, Al-Futtaim Group
It is a fantastic route for assessing your knowledge and experience and benchmark it to world class standards. A must do for experienced professionals.
Head of Consumer Banking Academy, FGB
I am now confident that I have a globally recognised qualification, which puts me in good stead for any future career development opportunities and is a hallmark of quality for provisional employers.
Area Human Resources Manager, Sika Services, Middle East
What does it involve?
The five steps of Experience Assessment can fit around your professional and personal commitments.
Step 1: Online Pre-Assessment
Find out which membership grade to apply for, based on your current level of experience. It’s free, flexible and quick with our online Pre-Assessment Tool.
- Gives you an immediate result.
- Takes around 10 minutes to complete.
- Can help you identify areas for development.
Step 3: Online assessment
Step 4: Professional discussion
Step 5: Outcome
How much does it cost?
Fees for current members
One-off assessment fee*
When registering for Experience Assessment, current Affiliate and Associate members of the CIPD only pay the assessment fee.
- Assessment for Associate £1,996
- Assessment for Chartered Member £2,045
- Assessment for Chartered Fellow £2,375
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
Annual membership fee
The next time you renew your membership, and once you’ve completed Experience Assessment, you’ll pay the membership fee for the grade you’re awarded.
Fees for new members
|Membership type||Joining fee||One-off assessment fee*||Fee (1 Jan – 30 June 2023)||Fee (1 Jan – 30 June 2024)|
Total = Joining fee + One-off assessment fee + 6 OR 15 month membership fee.
Our membership year runs from 1 July to 30 June and you can join membership at any time.
*the assessment fee is non-refundable.
Experience Assessment not for you?
Study a Certificate or Diploma qualification which will lead to Associate membership.
Study the CIPD Advanced Diploma and upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Explore our free line manager support resources if you’re a people manager. This is typically professionals responsible for directly leading or managing employees and who enable and implement HR policies, practices and frameworks.
Ask about membership through Experience Assessment
Experience Assessment for organisations
Experience Assessment for organisations allows you to benchmark your people teams against our CIPD Profession Map, which reflects the industry standard and reward their achievements with CIPD membership. Experience Assessment will enable your organisation to:
- create targeted development plans across your people functions
- provide a highly rewarding development experience for your employees
- professionalise your people function through affiliation with the CIPD.
Experience Assessment for organisations can easily be incorporated into broader development initiatives and we’ll work with you to tailor our approach to meet your team’s specific needs.
See how else the CIPD can work with you to improve your organisation's performance by strengthening your people capability.
Beware of scam and unauthorised services
The CIPD has been made aware of scam attempts by businesses and individuals offering and soliciting payments for unauthorised CIPD Experience Assessment coaching, CIPD assignment writing and proofreading services, and other training or development services