Recognising your contribution to HR and L&D through higher education and research
Academic membership is for individuals engaged in teaching, lecturing and research in the field of HR or L&D. It illustrates expertise in the development and progression of ‘thinking and knowledge’ of the HR and L&D profession and your ability to make an impact in the world of work.
Academic membership levels
There are three levels of Academic membership. Each carries a professional designation to recognise their significance.
Academic Associate (Academic Assoc CIPD)
You are typically an experienced lecturer, tutor or researcher in an HR or L&D subject area. Check yourself against the description of our Academic Associate level.
Academic Member (Academic MCIPD)
You are typically an experienced lecturer, senior researcher, recognised in the UK or internationally as an expert in more than one relevant HR or L&D subject area. Check yourself against the description of our Academic Member level.
Academic Fellow (Academic FCIPD)
You are typically a senior academic or research leader, recognised in the UK or internationally as an expert in at least two areas of HR or L&D. Check yourself against the description of our Academic Fellow level.
Academic membership fees
Fees for up to 18 months membership
You will need to renew your membership on the 1 July 2019 and each year after that. Don’t worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
|Membership||Assessment fee||Joining fee||Up to 18 months||Total|
Interested in Academic membership?
To be eligible for Academic Membership of the CIPD you need to be an individual working in the field of teaching or research in HRM or an HRM related area.
To be awarded Academic Membership, you will be formally assessed via face-to-face or Skype Peer Review Discussion with one of our academic assessors who are experienced academics.
To find out if you would be eligible to apply for academic membership send an up-to-date CV to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that it includes details of the following evidence, with a focus on the last 3-5 years:
- Your current role
- Job title
- Details of what you do in your role and your achievements
- Outputs of your role so we can see how you are contributing to, defining or leading HR & L&D thinking and knowledge and planning and delivering HR & L&D learning and/or research, together with the contribution you are making to the institution and HRM profession more widely
- Your previous roles
- Job titles
- Details of what you did in those roles and your achievements, ensuring you provide details in particular for any roles held within the last five years; again outlining how your previous roles have aligned to HRM teaching and research
- Your publications
- Any speaker roles at conferences
- Involvement in any other work which demonstrates your contribution to the institution from an HR or L&D perspective, or the HR and L&D profession as a whole
We will review your CV and write to you within 10 working days to confirm your eligibility and advise you on the most suitable level of academic membership to apply at, based on your experience. We will then provide you with full details of the assessment process.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
- Plus, access to Career management webinars.