Become a member
Enjoy exclusive access to resources, connections, events and support to further develop yourself professionally
What can membership do for you?
- Professional credibility and recognition for your skills and abilities.
- The support and shared experience of almost 160,000 people professionals in the worldwide CIPD community.
- Boost your career prospects and earning potential.
- Exclusive member benefits to add impact to your work every day.
How to become a member
Whether you’re just starting out, building your career, or working at the highest level, there’s a route to membership to suit you and a membership grade to demonstrate your level of knowledge and experience.
Two ways to achieve membership
You can become a member either by studying a CIPD qualification or having your professional experience assessed. If you’re already studying a CIPD qualification, join as a Student Member today.
Study a qualification
- If you’re beginning or developing your career in the people profession.
- You enrol at a study centre to take a qualification, completing relevant modules and coursework and/or sitting an exam.
- It takes eight to 12 months to complete our new Foundation qualification, 12-16 months for our Associate qualifications, 16-24 months for our Advanced qualifications.
- Depending on the qualification you study, you’ll become either a Foundation or Associate Member, and may be able to upgrade to Chartered Member or Fellow if you have the required experience.
Have your experience assessed
- If you’re an experienced people professional and can demonstrate how you meet the membership standards.
- You’ll complete a series of online assessments and have a professional discussion with an experienced assessor. The knowledge you’ve gained, the way you work, and your impact as a people professional will be reviewed and assessed.
- Experience Assessment can take as little as four months. This route does not require study or exams.
- You’ll become an Associate Member, Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, depending on your experience.
Next steps to membership
Other ways to join membership
Are you a current CIPD member?
Learn how to progress your career by upgrading your membership
Are you an employer interested in membership for your team?
Partnering with employers
Recognition for your people professionals and their impact in the workplace