Online, face-to-face or blended learning for your organisation
Recognise the delivery of world-class HR and L&D
Becoming a CIPD Chartered Member is a significant career milestone. It brings the designation Chartered MCIPD and access to one of the biggest online collections of HR and L&D resources, as well as support from a community of over 160,000 members globally, including 4,500 in the Middle East.
Your investment demonstrates that your team:
- has met rigorous standards for good practice
- adheres to our code of professional conduct and continues its professional development
- is committed to delivering a quality service that supports your organisation’s strategy and people.
Benefits of CIPD membership
The CIPD is the only HR and L&D professional body that can award Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow grade to individual HR and L&D professionals. Chartered Membership benchmarks capability and experience against CIPD standards and builds credibility with colleagues and clients.
- Stay up to date and informed – Access the CIPD’s expert research, surveys and policy reports, plus factsheets and guides.
- Stay connected – Widen your network and learn from other HR and L&D professionals at the many CIPD events organised in the UK, Ireland and internationally.
- Stay one step ahead – The CIPD Career hub is an online gateway to a host of information, tools and advice exclusively for CIPD members, supporting HR and L&D professionals at every stage of their career.
- Stand out – Use the internationally recognised designation ‘Chartered MCIPD’ to demonstrate your credibility and professionalism
There’s a CIPD membership option to suit everyone in your team.
- Chartered Member and Chartered Fellow for your most experienced and senior team members.
- Associate Member for anyone who has completed a pre-2021 Certificate or Diploma qualification, or one of our new Associate or Advanced qualifications, or has at least a year's experience.
- Foundation Member for anyone who has completed the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in People Practice.
- Affiliate Member for anyone who wants access to resources and research, a way to stay up to date, to connect and to continue their professional development.
Routes to membership
CIPD courses and qualifications are recognised worldwide as demonstrating a commitment to the highest standards of professionalism in Human Resources (HR) and Learning and Development (L&D).
Our new CIPD qualifications are available at Foundation, Associate and Advanced level. Depending on the qualification you study you’ll become a Foundation or Associate Member. If you study an Advanced Diploma, you’ll become an Associate Member and may be able to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, depending on your experience.
Based on the Profession Map, our new qualifications equip you with the knowledge, skills and behaviours to make an impact and meet your goals as people professionals.
Experience Assessment is a direct route to CIPD membership and doesn’t require sitting an exam or a qualification in HR to be eligible. Instead, professionals provide written examples of their work experience from the last five years to showcase how they meet the membership requirements. This is followed by a Professional Discussion with a CIPD Assessor to talk through their knowledge and experience in more detail.
It benchmarks the performance of HR and L&D practitioners against the CIPD Profession Map and recognises their achievements with CIPD membership.
Unlike other approaches, individuals are required to demonstrate their effectiveness as HR or L&D practitioners by showcasing the impact they've had on their organisation. They'll be asked to explain not only what they do, but how they do it.
Group Experience Assessment is easily incorporated into your HR capability strategies. Many of our clients include it within their tailored development programmes. Upon completion your organisation will receive an Organisational Insights Report, which includes:
- benchmarking data against the CIPD Profession Map
- key trends
- strengths and areas for development within the team
- options to help further your team's HR capability.
Please note that the Group Experience Assessment is only valid for six people or more. For a group of five people or less, please visit this page to learn about individual Experience Assessment.
Upgrading your membership
If members of your team are already in CIPD membership, we can help you ensure that their membership grade reflects the level of HR knowledge, responsibility and impact they’ve reached in their careers.
There’s no need to upgrade through each membership grade, that is, Associate Member to Chartered Member to Chartered Fellow. Professionals apply for the membership grade that is most relevant to them.
Find out more about Upgrading or give us a call today on +44 (0) 20 8612 6206
Stay up-to-date with the fast-changing world of HR and L&D
Open to all, Affiliate Membership is for non-HR and L&D professionals working in a people management or development role. It’s ideal if you want immediate access to CIPD's content, resources and events. It also gives access to all our exclusive member benefits to support your team's professional development.
Affiliate Membership will provide your team with:
- Access to the latest international HR and business news, in-depth research and insight, and online business journals via EBSCO and reports.
- Access to professional development tools. My CPD Map shows you what you need to know and do at every stage of your career to represent the standards for the profession. Plus, CIPD members have exclusive access to our online assessment tool.
- Network at local CIPD events, CIPD members also receive discounts on attending all our regional events and conferences through local partners.
- Discounts on CIPD products and services, online subscription titles, conference titles, publications and toolkits.
Find out more about Affiliate Membership .
Or get in touch here to explore Affiliate Membership for your team.